Friday, 12 November 2010

recovering from the shock.........................

of my dry cleaning bill!!!   So I have 2 dresses, ok so they are silk I think, but nothing much too them and after hols I decide to get them cleaned so they are ready for next time!!   So how much do you think ???   £20 maybe £30 tops if you go to a snazzy place........my god I nearly fainted from the shock when the till showed 62,30 Euros.......another occasion of not being up to speed with my french causing barriers to communication (a bonus for them!)otherwsie I would have protested violently and demanded a reduction!!!!   As it was I smiled sweetly, asked when they would be ready to collect, paid the bill and said au revoir through gritted teeth!!!!!!

Anyway after a week of trying to be more at home and getting some stuff done to try and get it into some kind of order (managed the staying at home more but failed miserably with anything else!!!!).............although I did have a good catch-up with my neighbour Becky where we put the worldof living inLuxembourg  to rights and a nice lunch today with a friend of mine also an Amazonian-wifey!!  So after the escapade of the dry cleaners I recovered with a nice 6 euro lunch at a soup place.......fantastic!! 

Other happenings of the week.......oh yes of course how could I forget.....the organisation of Conors party!!!   so a few weeks before holiday I start to look for venues for conors football party.....I mean how hard can it be to find an indoor sports centre for boys to run around palying football........well actually almost impossible!! So after much waiting (and a trip down to Foetz a few miles out to check out a place I had heard of but unfortunately has now closed down......bloody typical!!!)  I hear back from the guy that runs the football after school club and he has a venue......hurray.......albeit outside which given the fact it has done nothing but rain since we arrived back from hols may not be the smartest plan........but hey......and then swallowing hard when he tells me the price we just go with it (next year Conor will be doing something straightforward like bowling!!!) and I think job done!    Oh no.......of course with only 10 days now to go until the party I now need to find invites (as Conor wants to invite boys from lots of different classes/years so have no email addresses for all) - another feat in itself which involves a trip to Little Britain....a shop out of town which sells as guessed from it's name British products!!!  So I pick up 2 packs of the only vaguely looking boys invites (and throw a few other things in whilst I'm there......and refused to pay 5euros for the ONE box of Oatibix ....no wonder it's nickname is Little Rip-off!!) we get home and all is hunky dory!

So after traipsing all the kids out at 6pm so Millie can get to gymnastics (oh roll on next week when it is our week with Noora our au-pair!)....we arrive home at nearly 8pm (oh yes we nearly ran out of diesel too so had to stop on the way home.........the one cheap thing here!) and all kids late in bed but thankfully behaved as we had our young boy babysitter round at 8.30pm (Noora phoned me at 6pm to say she had been violently sick for the past hour....oh joy!)  and I had to race into town to meet Shaun and one of his new recruits moving from  Munich who was over on an induction and so Shaun thought we should take her out and tell her how nice it is living in Luxembourg........hmmm......not sure my frame of mind is right at the moment to do the big sell......but managed somehow!!!!   The fact that Shaun's secretary had booked a lovely Thai place which I had been wanting to go to obviously helped....when in fact earlier I would have relished the thought of curling up on the sofa with my book!!!!

Arriving home not so late I then have to embark on the writing of the damn invitations so Conor can give them out tomorrow to maximise time before party date arrives (blimey sick of the thing already!!!!!).........what makes it even worse is there are NOT ENOUGH invitations..............aghhhhhhh.........help!!!   So Thursday then sees us stopping at the post office to pick up a parcel (always a pain as in a part of town we never go to and always busy) only to find the parcel had been re-delivered and I had been home so the damn thing was already there!!!!  Follow this with a trip to the parking garage to get into town for more invites..........well this was like something out of a comedy....so i find a space (albeit rather a tight one but am determined to squeeze into it as want to get home ASAP) and park only to find Conor is the only one who can pysically open his door enough to get out!!!!!   I'm not moving I say to myself so I squeeze in the back andout of his door and as the car next to us leaves I think great......only to find a much smaller space as a big 4-wheel drive parks in it's place (a mini before!!!!!) so I am well and truly snookered.........losing my will to live....the old couple in the car on the other side then arrive back and can't get in to their car either.....................so to cut an even longer story short I drive out to let him out and then park across 2 spaces so we have more space than we know what to do with......fab!!!!   BUt why do they make spaces so bloody tight...............impossible!   Anyway eventually out of the parking garage we find the bookshop with invites and another OMG when i see the only ones they have are 12,50 for 8!!!!!   That's it...........this is the party to last his whole stat in lux.......never again!!   Remind me next year.....MUST BE MORE ORGANISED!!!!!!!!!!   After all this palava......we arrive home at 5pm Ruby screaming as she's had nothing since lunch and Conor fed up because it was too late to get to football training......ho hum.........all in a day's work eh?!

The upshot is.........Conor is soooooo excited about his party and successfully gave out all his invites and replies are now flooding in..................alls well that ends well I guess :-)

PS  to add to those frustrating moments (lots of!!!) I then sit down to order Conor's school sports  uniform (yes he lost his on the 1st day and hasn't been seen since...........and yes it did have his name in!!!!!)  and after getting everything in the basket proceed to checkout, fill out the billing details and then nothing....NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING.............aghhhhhh again......what a complete waste of time!

Anyway...................nice calm afternoon .............Millie at a playdate,Conor was dropped off for me and we're off to the Alsace for a long weekend tomorrow as kids off on monday.  Get me to those wineries.......QUICK SHARP!    A demain!   

No comments:

Post a Comment